Español Kreyòl Ayisyen
COVID-19 Vaccines & Boosters
BEGINNING THE WEEK OF JAN. 16 VACCINES AND BOOSTERS ARE AVAILABLE AT OUR CENTERS’ LATE NIGHT (EACH MEDICAL CENTER IS OPEN UNTIL 8 P.M. ONE DAY PER WEEK). CALL FOR AN APPOINTMENT.
You must have an appointment to be vaccinated. You do not have to be a Rural Health patient to get vaccinated at Rural Health. All eligible patients are being offered vaccinations or boosters as part of regular appointments.
We are administering the bivalent Moderna and Prizer boosters. These booster versions are the most effective available and offer better protection against both new and old strains of COVID. You must have received your primary series (first two shots) or had your last booster at least two months ago to get the bivalent booster. You must be age 5+ to get the Pfizer bivalent booster or age 6+ to get the Moderna bivalent booster.
- Moderna (marketed under the brand name Spikevax) and Pfizer, (marketed as Comirnaty) COVID-19 vaccines are currently available.
- The FDA has granted emergency use authorization to Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine for children ages 6 months to 5 years, as well as to Moderna’s vaccine for kids ages 6 months to 6 years. Vaccines for this age group will be offered during regularly scheduled medical visits.
- The Pfizer vaccine will be given to individuals ages 5-11 by appointment or when they are in the office for medical appointments for other issues.
Check the esrh.org COVID tab and monitor local media for updates. Click on a center name for a phone number to make an appointment to get vaccinated: Atlantic – Chincoteague – Eastville – Onley.
For HRSA COVID Education and Vaccination Funding Info Sheet click here.
The rapid test is best if patients have had symptoms for up to 5-7 days. If you don’t have symptoms, PCR testing is generally a better option. If you have COVID symptoms call your provider to schedule a telemedicine or in car visit.
Standard (PCR) Testing for People WITHOUT COVID SYMPTOMS:
Drive through testing is available BY APPOINTMENT MONDAYS & FRIDAYS – beginning at 10 a.m. at our Eastville center. Results typically come back in 48-72 hours – we will contact patients once results are received.
*Check vdh.virginia.gov/eastern-shore or @EasternShoreHealthDistrict on Facebook for the most up-to-date health department information.
Rapid Testing for People WITH COVID SYMPTOMS:
- Patients with symptoms should call for an appointment. Testing will be ordered by the medical provider based on their evaluation.
CLICK HERE to learn what to do if you test positive for COVID.
Free N95 Facemasks Available
We have received N95 facemasks from the Health Resources & Services Administration. These facemasks are available to Rural Health patients, the health department, nursing homes, schools and other organizations who request them while supplies last. To request N95 facemasks email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 757-414-0400, ext. 1120.
Patient Visit Information – You must call in advance to be seen!
- Read about enhanced safety procedures.
- Read about dental safety equipment in place.
- Read about what to expect when you visit.
- Limited medical visits are available by phone/audio. Copays are currently collected for telehealth visits. YOU MUST TAKE THE CALL IN A VIRGINIA LOCATION.
- All DENTAL services are available in our center offices and school-based dental units. Due to enhanced COVID safety precautions visits take more time and less people can be seen in a day. Please see our video below to learn about safety procedures. PLEASE INFORM US IF YOU CAN’T MAKE YOUR APPOINTMENT.
- Please come to appointment alone 15 MINUTES EARLY, WITH YOUR CELL PHONE, as you may wait in your car. Please DO NOT EAT OR DRINK 15 MINUTES BEFORE ARRIVING. Necessary support people are welcome to accompany patients to appointments but may be asked to remain in the waiting area or car if their presence is not required for treatment. Only one adult allowed with children, regardless of number of children being seen. PATIENTS ARE GIVEN A SURGICAL MASK TO WEAR WHILE IN OR NEAR OUR LOCATIONS. ARRANGEMENTS WILL BE MADE FOR CHILDREN TOO SMALL TO WEAR A MASK OR THOSE DEVELOPMENTALLY OR MEDICALLY UNABLE TO WEAR A MASK.