- Holiday Closing: ESRHS will be closed on September 1, 2014.
- Free insurance help: We offer free health insurance help for those who want to learn about Health Insurance Marketplace options. Though the first enrollment period has past you may not have to wait for the second enrollment period to begin. Click here to take a survey and find out if you are eligible for this insurance in 2014.
- Local enrollment help is available at ESRHS offices:
- Atlantic and Chincoteague 824-5676 ext. 637
- Bayview 331-1086 ext. 204
- Franktown 442- 4819 ext. 362
- Onley 787-7374 ext. 767
- For help 24/7 to healthcare.gov or call 1-800-318-2596.
- Patient Portal: Have you heard about our Patient Portal? The Patient Portal is a secure online website that gives patients convenient 24-hour access to personal health information from anywhere with an Internet connection. To begin the setup process, one of our staff members must "web enable" your chart. Please call your ESRHS center and ask to be "web enabled" or ask about it at your next appointment! For more information about the Patient Portal: Click Here
Who We Are
More than Just a Doctor's Office....Your "Medical Home"
Serving Virginia's Eastern Shore with five medical centers and four dental locations from Chincoteague Island to Cape Charles, Eastern Shore Rural Health System, Inc. (ESRHS), is the medical provider of choice for more than half the Eastern Shore community's population. All ESRHS centers are open Monday - Friday with evening hours available including 10-hour days at the Onley center. ESRHS is open on Saturday mornings year-round at the Onley center and seasonally at Chincoteague.
In addition to primary medical and dental services, ESRHS offers health education, pharmacy assistance, digital x-ray, labwork, travel immunizations and much, much more. In partnership with the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, ESRHS is able to offer toll passes for qualifying residents who have a medical visit with a specialist. ESRHS' electronic health records system means you can be seen at any ESRHS center and the staff will have your complete medical history.
ESRHS' highly qualified clinicians offer compassionate, dedicated care for their patients. At ESRHS you are more than just a medical chart, you're a part of a family-oriented medical home.
In one year's time 28,483 people chose one of Rural Health's five medical locations or four dental locations for their healthcare needs. We provided 92,712 medical and 13,606 dental visits. This past fiscal year, 29% of Rural Health patients had private insurance; 19% had Medicaid; 14% had Medicare; and 38% were uninsured.
What We Do
ESRHS provides medical and dental* care to residents of all ages. Our centers are equipped with emergency/urgent care treatment rooms, labs and 3 centers offer x-rays.
ESRHS accepts most major medical and dental insurances. A sliding fee scale is available to patients without insurance coverage or who are underinsured.
In addition to providing primary medical and dental care, as "more than just a doctor's office", ESRHS offers pharmacy assistance, health education, and interpretation services at all our centers, at no cost to our patients. We continue to partner with Accomack County Public Schools to offer dental services at permanent sites on the campuses of two elementary schools and with portable equipment at other campuses. ESRHS was selected by the Chesapeake Bay Bridge & Tunnel (CBBT) Commission to administer a medical toll program, which allows low-income residents with medical referrals free travel to the Hampton Roads area. Click on the "Current Programs" link on the left for more information about our programs and services.
ESRHS is a Health Center Program grantee under 42 U.S.C. 254b, and a deemed Public Health Service employee under 42 U.S.C. 233(g)-(n).
* Due to the ongoing shortage of dentists on the Eastern Shore of Virginia, for the unforeseeable future ESRHS dental program will provide comprehensive services (fillings, extractions cleanings) for high risk populations including:
- Pregnant women, diabetics, patients with HIV, patients receiving radiation therapy and/or chemotherapy for cancer, and patients preparing for organ transplant or prosthetic joint replacement
- Patients with other complex medical conditions referred by an ESRHS medical provider
- However, emergency care is available for any and all Eastern Shore of Virginia residents.
Make a Donation
2013 Annual Report
Website by The Custom Web Design Company
A Service of Dawson Resources, LLC
© 2007 Eastern Shore Rural Health. All Rights Reserved